Rules of the Road

The purpose of this blog is to share with you my thoughts on issues pertaining to Oil City and Venango County and to foster discussion.

However, that requires some basic rules. Personal attacks, inappropriate language and venom-filled postings will not be tolerated. Comments will be screened, and if necessary edited, before posting.

Disagreement and a variety of opinions are encouraged, but I ask that it always be in a respectful, positive manner. So fire away, but do so cleanly

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Selecting a new council member

Several people have asked me how council will select a new member to fill the unexpired term of Merrill Whitling.

As a body, we have not finalized details of the selection process. We have asked that letters of interest be submitted by Wednesday, April 9. Individually we will be reviewing those letters over the weekend.

But I suspect what people are really asking me about is not so much the selection process as how I will evaluate the candidates that submit a letter of interest.

Basically, what I seek in a co-council member is what I would seek in a council member as a voter going to the polls.

Someone with integrity, an open mind, who is a visionary but still pragmatic and is optimistic. Someone who has the ability to see different points of view, has the ability to work with others and is capable of putting personalities and personal and political differences aside for the benefit of the community.
Someone who is respectful, can argue a point with civility and shies away from bombast, but is fully capable of taking a stand for a position they believe in. Someone who will do what they think is right, even when it is not the popular thing to do.
Someone who looks to the future, not the past, but recognizes the value of our past.
Someone with the time and commitment to do their homework.

I would like to think those are my aspirations as a councilman, but like most everyone, my abilities and aspirations don’t always match up. Sometimes the best you can do is strive to do better.

I will tell anyone who is considering submitting a letter of interest that it will be tougher and more time consuming than they think. My three months in office have already taught me that, and I came in with a background that I thought prepared me well for the realities facing local government, and Oil City in particular.

So, if you care deeply about this community and would like to make it a better community, submit a letter of interest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy John. Off the subject. I’m sure City Council is well aware that the majority of Oil City’s citizens aren’t wealthy people. The headlines of The Derrick today (April 7, 2008 “OC Among Poorest School Districts”) really brought that point home. So if I might make just one little suggestion. When you are considering “blight,” please take into account that perhaps not everyone is just lax or negligent in maintaining their home. Maybe, just maybe, they might not have the funds that they need to keep up with their property. All these low interest loan programs that everyone seems to be talking about now look great on paper. However, please remember a loan is still a loan and a loan needs paid back regardless if it’s at 1% interest or 29.99% interest. For some people to add another payment to their already overstretched budget will all but make them homeless. Just some food for thought.

Thanks John!

John Noel Bartlett said...

The OilCityOutsider posted two comments that I have rejected.

It's unfortunate because the OilCityOutsider has made positive contributions to this forum.

If the OilCityOutsider e-mails me at my city e-mail, I will explain in detail.

The short version is the comments served to disparage an individual and questions the individual's ethics in a round-about way.

This forum is not for that, either directly or indirectly.