Rules of the Road

The purpose of this blog is to share with you my thoughts on issues pertaining to Oil City and Venango County and to foster discussion.

However, that requires some basic rules. Personal attacks, inappropriate language and venom-filled postings will not be tolerated. Comments will be screened, and if necessary edited, before posting.

Disagreement and a variety of opinions are encouraged, but I ask that it always be in a respectful, positive manner. So fire away, but do so cleanly

Monday, July 13, 2009

On posting, consultants, etc.

I know it has been a very long time since I’ve posted a new topic.

Frankly, I have been a bit weary. My hope with this blog was to encourage discussion that would enlighten residents as to my thinking and help me and others shape our individual opinions based on the exchange of thoughts and ideas. I certainly expected and accept criticism, but it does at times become tiring.

For anyone who actually follows this blog they know there has been a fair amount of on-going discussions in previous posts. So, although I have not put up a new post, there have been new comments on a number of subjects.

These have been difficult times for me on council and I’m sure the other members would say the same thing. We have a lot on our plate. The city is probably undertaking more projects simultaneously now than at any time in recent memory. The national economy is the most challenging in a generation and that works its way down to the local level. Losing a city manager was a real blow in my opinion and having to find another is a task I would not wish on anyone. We have to get it right.

And I do have, or try to have a life beyond the city, which has unfortunately included having to deal with my own employment situation.

So, on the issue of consultants, notably for hiring a consultant to help with the search of a new city manager that has been criticized by many I go back to my comment of: “We have to get it right.”

Our consultant, Peter Marshall of Municipal Resources of Pennsylvania has brought a level of expertise and efficiency to the process far beyond what I think any of us on council bring to the table. He has helped us develop a search process and platform that is most likely to get us the best candidate possible.

There is another benefit as well, using Marshall we have side-stepped the ever-present issues (or perhaps allegations is a better word) of local and internal politics and personalities driving the search and ultimately the hiring of a manager.

As for the other consultants currently leading studies (water ways, comprehensive plan, etc.), who would you ask to do the work, other than those with expertise and competency. I believe the waterways plan offers an incredible opportunity for the city to capitalize on the river and creek. The comprehensive plan is a state requirement and is a cooperative effort with Cornplanter and Rouseville.

I also saw a recent critic of the energy study being done by Johnson Control. I find it unusual that anyone would find something in the proposal to criticize. There is no cost to the city unless we fail to follow through with the energy study. Once completed, every proposal we implement will pay for itself, or Johnson Control picks up the bill. Not a bad deal at all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bartlett,

Don't be discouraged! It takes a lot of guts to put yourself in a situation (such as a blog) where you allow comments, criticism, etc... I highly commend your willingness to do this.

While it is hard for me to look at the price tags of some of these consultants, I understand your points and feel your explanation as to why they are essential has helped me not feel so adamently against them. This blog has helped me to see both sides of MANY issues I would have otherwise been only on one side about. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Finely crafted blog, but I still wonder...where are your results? In the past six months I know that several people have questioned your and the ORA's ability to manage for quality and results...ready to listen yet? Show me the good coming from all of your tiring effort. And if there's nothing to show, yield to those who can achieve great things!

John Noel Bartlett said...

I have a sense that the person who posted the preceding comment will not be satisfied or have a change of heart no matter what I say or do. I also suspect I know who the writer is based on the language, etc. It is a shame that whoever it is won’t tell us who they are, and more valuably tell us specifics of what he/she would do better. Heaven knows we need all the suggestions we can gather.

I think we have made measurable progress over the past year. The waterways study is under way, there is a developing Main Street Program, we’ve addressed in a most proactive way our blighted properties, including through a rental inspection program and blighted property review committee and much more.

What is a measurable result? Nothing happens overnight, but I think a lot has been done that is setting the stage for a better tomorrow. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in the lives of individuals or communities.

I can not speak for the ORA. I will tell you that they have been proactive in keeping businesses here and helping them grow as has the city. Look at what we have in the Oil City Industrial Park and the businesses that have grown and continue to grow there.

I know the ORA comes in for a lot of criticism, but I would like to know of an economic development agency anywhere in northwestern Pennsylvania that has done any better. Erie has one of the most powerful and well-structured development organizations in the region and what has it accomplished in these tough economic times? What have those in Crawford, Mercer, Butler, Warren or Clarion counties accomplished that would put what we have done to shame?

And finally, who is stepping up that anyone can yield to. People who care are engaged and directly involved in what we have going on. There may be differences in approach and priorities and even real disagreements in what is being done, but they are on-board and giving everything they can to see that what we are trying is successful.

I urge everyone who wants to make a difference in this community to become involved and join the team.

Anonymous said...

Bartlett, you have no idea. I know of at least six people less than 40 years old who have been pushed out of being involved in anything. Based on your post, does that mean they didn't care enough?

I also am entertained that you have resorted to asking if anyone in this area has done any better than the ORA. Are you satisfied with them based solely on that? I highly doubt the amount of business created or retained even comes close to the amount of cash that office has burned over the past several years.

John Noel Bartlett said...

I don't know of the six people, and if they feel pushed out, it is unfortunate. I do know that sometimes people find themselves in a setting where they just don't fit -- I know I have -- and so things don't work out. I also know that there are many 20 and 30 somethings deeply involved and contributing to this community's future.

As for the ORA, I think they have had more success than they often get credit for. Would I hope they had and will have a great deal more success, absolutely.

Anonymous said...

This blog provides a great service and allows thoughts and ideas to be expressed that might otherwise go unspoken and as it grows in popularity, will help keep people on their toes.

I read somewhere on here that someone was disappointed in the appearance of the old gas station coming into the city. Lo and behold, it was cleaned up.

Maybe it had nothing to do with this blog, but I would venture to guess that it did and like it or not that is an accomplishment!

Sometimes just posting a comment is all you need to do John. Anyone in politics has to have thick skin, do what they can & move on. Some will always be better at civic service than others. At least people step up to the plate and if the citizens don't like them there's always another election around the bend.

You are also right that if you feel like you are just spinning your wheels in a volunteer role and people don't seriously listen to your input, well MOVE ON! There are any number of places to get plugged in.

Anonymous said...

For you people who missed it, Conair was sold to another out of state company. Sure some people lost their job when it happened but the new company stayed and jobs (alot of them) were saved. Who can you thank for that? Thats right the ORA. (no I don't work there!)

The Insider said...

LOL @ previous user. Trust me...the company that purchased conair never planned to move. They laugh every time the ORA takes credit.

John Noel Bartlett said...

Insider,
I have to go with the anonymous post.
The new out-of-state buyer made no bones about its consideration of moving the company. The ORA stepped in and cut a deal that has them here.
Was the company bluffing, I don't know if anyone can ever know with certainty. I can tell you, I don't think calling them on it would have been a good idea. Too much was a risk. Would you have been willing to risk your job?
Give the ORA credit where credit is due.

Anonymous said...

John,

Whats withh the ORA bashing on this site? Can anyone name a economic developement oraganization that has done better? Think about it and let me know. The ORA can only do what the communities and local governments allow them to do, maybe you should be looking at who is bashing the ORA to you and wonder how much support those LOCAL politions are supporting the ORA's efforts. Not getting the picture read the paper or ask your individual city or county official what their agenda is. No I do not work for the ORA.

John Noel Bartlett said...

I don't get the ORA bashing.
I don't get much of the bashing that goes on. Constructive criticism is important, but that requires some real alternative proposals or solutions. You seldom get that.
I think sometimes people just need to vent their frustrations.